Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Sweet 16

It's official.  After a party filled weekend we have a 16 year old in our house.  I can't really believe I am typing these words.  I know this may sound a bit cliche, but often times, I feel like I am still 16 myself. That was such a significant time in my life.  It's when I met Mr. Mann.  We've had such a history together, and often times I feel like we are still those young kids that met over 27 years ago. How is it possible that we now have a 16 year old daughter?  How is it possible, I say?!

Anyhoo...

The weekend started off with a bang.  Friday night she headed to her friend's house to pass out Halloween candy.  Since we live in the country, and it's a 5 minute walk between each house on our street, we don't see a whole lot of trick or treaters...well none actually! The girls decided to dress up to hand out the candy! Still my little girl!
On Saturday she had a group of friends out to the house to celebrate with her.  
All but one of these friends went to elementary school together.  And four of them have known each other since kindergarten. 
Even though they are getting older, I love that they chose to play games, watch movies and just hang out enjoying each other's company!
 


Craig and I even convinced her to have a pinata, and it was a blast to see these giant kids try to open this pinata.  First they broke the stick.  Then the whole thing came off its hanger, yet managed not to break when it hit the ground.  This thing seemed to be unbreakable, but when they decided to play a game of pinataball, they finally managed to get to the goods!



One her friends brought out some leftover fireworks to honor her celebration of turning 16.  I have to admit that was pretty AWESOME!


Of course no birthday is complete with out a cake.  And of course with a name like Emaleigh, it definitely had to be spelled wrong!  (Even after I spelled it letter by letter for the lady behind the counter.)  

On Sunday we celebrated with extended family.  While Craig's parents usually head to Lake Havasu by late September/Early October, Ema asked if they would stay through her birthday this year.  She was delighted to have them at her family party. And of course, I managed not to get a picture of the three of them together...ugh...!



Finally when her actual birthday arrived on Monday, the birthday fairy had arrived to decorate her door. We all had school and work, so we came together that night to share her gifts, and have one last fling with her grandparents by heading to the Olive Garden for dinner.  Her favorite dish has always been spaghetti.  We had it on her 1st birthday celebration at home, and of course she requested it on her 16th birthday celebration. 




It still does not seem possible that she is growing up into a beautiful young woman.  The first 16 years went by so fast.  It scares me to think how quickly the next 16 years will go by.  In fact, during one of her parties, we were chatting about the ages of all the cousins.  Her youngest will be one next month. The comment was made that when Madison turns 16 Emaleigh will be 32.  Yikes...that is just C-R-A-Z-Y! In fact, Ema will probably be a mom herself by then.  I shudder when I allow myself to go there.  So if you don't mind, I'll head back to the present and enjoy these precious moments.

Happy Birthday my love...

On a side note, I found it fascinating that my mother's love was evident when I woke up at the moment she was born.  And yes...it was 3:47 am!



No comments: