Sunday, November 30, 2008

Welcome Advent


Sunday, November 29, 2008 marks the first day of the advent season. This is probably my most favorite part of the holidays. Advent means the coming of Christ. The time when we wait patiently for the arrival of the Son who provides eternal life. What a glorious time of year. A time to celebrate the most important 'Birth'day of all. For our family, it is a time when we focus on teaching our kids the importance of giving and sharing of ourselves. It's a time for a renewed understanding of why we feel it is important to believe in Jesus. Without Jesus, there is really no reason for Christmas.

The other day Caleb and I were writing his letter to Santa and he misspelled the word Christmas. It was then that I realized something interesting. Of course it is obvious that Christ is the first part of the word, but my eyes seemed to focus on the second part. Mas. If my memory holds I believe mas means 'more' in spanish. More Christ. Wouldn't it be great if our materialistic views of the world would realize the value of having 'more Christ' in our lives than 'more things'? I am guilty of wanting to spoil my family and friends during this season. However, I find some solace in knowing it is important for me to give more of myself to Jesus. I know it should not be just in December, but everyday. Finding that special time of day to relish in my relationship with Christ is what I hope to do more of this holiday season. Afterall, wouldn't that be the best gift to give the birthday boy?

No comments: